Since I still had hot peppers in the freezer from my crop this past summer, I decided I had to try adapting the recipe. I keep gluten-free and lactose-free and generally low-sugar and carb, so I figured I might as well go all out and try twisting the recipe up until it was gluten-free, vegan, white sugar free, and low carb. It turned out good enough that I’ll definitely be making it again!
Of course, if you can eat the original gluten, dairy, and sugar filled recipe, I’m absolutely sure it’s sweeter, richer, and tasty! The link is above. I hear it’s a most wonderful spicy brownie!
Also, if you don’t need/want to keep sugar-free or vegan, I included ingredient options that should also work. I haven’t tried all variations, but my experimentation tells me the substitutions should work. Let me know if you try a variation.
Also, I personally prefer very dark rich chocolate — 80% or darker — and not overly sweet. If you prefer sweeter chocolate goodies, try one of the secondary sweetness options I included in the recipe and let me know how it turns out.
Nearly Primal Spicy Habañero Brownies
- 4 oz unsweetened bar chocolate
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance margarine, grape seed oil, or butter
- 1 fresh habañero (add 1 or 2 more for spicier!)
- 1 tsp orange zest
- Juice from the zested orange (Grate zest for both brownies and icing first. About 2 TBSP juice.)
- Choose a sweetness option:
- LOW SUGAR: 10 packets of your favorite low-cal sweetener.
- ALTERNATE SWEET: 1 cup of agave syrup
- OLD SCHOOL SWEET & RICH: 1 1/2 cups of sugar and
an additional 1/2 cup of butter.
- 4 eggs or Egg Replacer and water to equal 4 eggs
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2.5 cups almond flour
- 1 cup walnuts
- 2 TBSP Cream Cheese (Can use dairy-free Tofutti “Better Than Cream Cheese”)
- 3 TBSP Earth Balance or butter
- 1 1/2 tsp orange zest
- 1 tsp Hatch Chili or ground smoked chipotle pepper or other hot chili powder (More for spicier.)
- 3 tsp cinnamon (I prefer Vietnamese)
- 4 packets of favorite powdered sweetener or enough powdered sugar to make it sweet and creamy
Preheat oven to 350F; grease one 8×8″ baking pan.
Melt chocolate and butter at low heat. Stir to avoid burning.
Very finely dice habañero pepper and add it to chocolate mixture. Also add orange zest and juice. Set aside.
Combine sweetener (Stevia, agave, or sugar) and eggs or egg substitute. If using regular sugar add the extra butter/oil now as well. Blend until smooth.
Add baking soda and almond flour to the egg mixture and mix until incorporated.
Add chocolate mixture to the batter and mix well.
Fold in walnuts.
Pour batter into baking pan. If it’s thick, pat it flat. Bake for about 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into brownie comes out clean. While cooking, make frosting.
Mix all ingredients until nice and soft, but not liquified. Taste test. Add more Stevia or powdered sugar until sweet enough for you. Add more chili pepper until as hot as you’d like.
When brownies are done, remove the pan from the oven and let cool. When cool enough to not melt the frosting, frost the top.
Devour. I’m currently on my second piece. That was a tasty breakfast.